Monday, April 16, 2012

Dissertation Defended

12
I defended my dissertation, "A Critical Edition of the Hexaplaric Fragments of Job 22-42", this morning at Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY. It's a critical edition in the sense that it incorporated all of the available evidence of Origen's Hexapla for Job 22-42, and I evaluated that evidence by deciding the original text and listing all variants in an apparatus. In most cases critical notes on the text are provided.

I want to thank Peter Gentry and Jim Hamilton for serving on my dissertation committee as well as Claude Cox and Jerome Lund for serving in the capacity of external examiners.

12 comments

  1. Congratulations!

    Any particularly noteworthy insights about the text of chapter 28?

    Yours in Christ,

    James Snapp, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful! I am so happy for you. I can not wait to hear about what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations from Mexico!!! You do a great work at ETC.I suppose you deserve some holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, Congratulations. This sounds like a very important contribution. Peter Rodgers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Are you handing out free copies! ;) I would love to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for your congratulations!

    The next step is to enter the data into the Hexapla Institute's online database. I am interested in this aspect of the project, even though I am not sure of all of the details yet. I may have an opportunity to post on this aspect later.

    After the materials are entered into the database, I will then pursue publication of it.

    I will comment on chapter 28 later :).

    ReplyDelete